27 April 2012

I Married the Banana Republic



 On vacation in Savannah, I walked by a Banana Republic and found that they have gone all, "I Married Adventure" this spring.  In fact, I stopped because the girl in the picture appeared to be holding her own copy of the Osa Johnson classic.  It was entitles, "Banana Republic."




Here they are going for that "Four Years In Paradise" background.



This is their new Desktop Safari collection. Even if one is forced to work in an office, one can still be wanderlust and adventurous.







If you do care about the real adventure of Osa Johnson and not just the decorative flair of her books, check out his new biography by Kelly Enright.  It is hard to believe in this twitterworld that people set out for trips that lasted years.  ( A week in Charleston/Savannah and I was beat and I didn't have to shoot any of my food or sleep on the ground!)  Letters took weeks to arrive and depart, camera equipment was REAL camera equipment with lens and big ol' tripods, and there were no cell phones.  No phones at all.  And no Banana Republic to buy your adventure frocks.  

Time marches on...

2 comments:

  1. Oh I must read this biography on Osa Johnson!! Thank so much for the tip! PS Love Banana Republic.

    The 2012 Artist Series featuring Designer and Paper Artist Anita Rivera...on my site, please stop by! Her work is amazing!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed that letters made it from one side of the globe to another, by camel and ship and pack mule and train, from some godforsaken desert to be eventually delivered on a silver tray at someone's breakfast table. Amazing, and oddly reassuring. Nice post! N.G.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin