02 March 2010

Requiescat In Pace -- Rose Gray


I was traveling this week and checked my e-mail to find a note from a friend in England. Rose Gray, the founder of The River Cafe, died on 28 February.

It felt like losing a friend. When you spend as much time in the kitchen as I do, you begin to feel close to the people who write those cookbooks you are always dragging off the shelf. The River Cafe cookbooks are like that for me. Not to mention that Rose Gray trained many of my favorite chefs, Jamie Oliver, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Allegra McEvedy, Sam and Sam Clark, and April Bloomfield.


Check out our post at Cookbook Of The Day for more including a link to my favorite Chocolate Nemesis cake from The River Cafe.

1 comment:

  1. There was a great tribute on BBC Radio 4 today by Ruth Rogers. Gray had been at art school with Richard Rogers and the two women's first meeting was at Rose's bohemian menage. She was busy cooking supper and invited Ruth to come into the kitchen to help her. Ruth admitted she was surprised but also delighted. And she noted how beautiful, graceful and confident her about-to-be lifelong friend was.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin