05 February 2010

Those Mitford Girls & William Acton













William Acton, the artist and brother of the famous aesthete, Harold Acton was a close friend of Diana Mitford. He sketched a lovely portrait of her. Her mother saw it and was so smitten, she commissioned Acton to draw the five remaining "Mitford Girls." I have never seen these drawing identified, so I am not real sure which is which. I believe, because of the difference in shading, the first is Diana. Acton did a famous painting of Diana and this looks like the sketch of that painting. Jessica is next and quite discernible. After that I am frankly lost.

Let's play "Pin The Name On The Mitfords." Please join in and let us know if you have ideas.


In 1985, only four of the "Mitford Girls" remained. Three of the sisters posed for portraits.

Pamela

Diana

Deborah


5 comments:

  1. oh fun! I know a few-guessing the rest- 1 - Deborah,2 -Jessica
    3- Unity, 4-Pamela, 5-Nancy, 6- Diana. sure about 5 and 6 (Acton's diana portrait is the cover of her self named book)
    I think I will follow up with the full portrait of Diana for you over the weekend- you will be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with little augury
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea, but I love looking at them! The sketches are beautiful, and the subjects are divine!
    The photo of Dian circa 1985 is mesmerizing. She's stunningly beautiful... in a very WASPY / CZ Guest sort of way (which I love).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy!
    Debo
    Jessica
    Unity
    Pam
    Nancy
    Diana

    I never tire of looking at Diana's face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As above! - Debo, Decca, Unity, Pamela, Nancy, Diana :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin